Escort individuals or groups on sightseeing tours or through places of interest, such as industrial establishments, public buildings, and art galleries.
- Describe tour points of interest to group members, and respond to questions.
- Escort individuals or groups on cruises, sightseeing tours, or through places of interest such as industrial establishments, public buildings, or art galleries.
- Conduct educational activities for school children.
- Monitor visitors' activities to ensure compliance with establishment or tour regulations and safety practices.
- Provide directions and other pertinent information to visitors.
- Greet and register visitors, and issue any required identification badges or safety devices.
- Customer relationship management CRM software: e.g. Centaur Systems Centaur Travel Business Management System TBMS, IBS Software Services Tour Partner, Softrip Travel Software System, TourTech Systems TourTools
- Mobile location based services software: e.g. Global Positioning System GPS software
- Data base user interface and query software: e.g. Database software, Microsoft Access
- Electronic mail software: e.g. Google Gmail, Microsoft Outlook, Yahoo! Email
- Office suite software: e.g. Corel Office Suite, LibreOffice, Microsoft Office, OpenOffice.org
- 30,013 tour guides are employed in the UK.
- New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
- Weekends & Public Holidays
Compare with the paid time worked by full-time employees in the UK.
Compare with the pay, excluding overtime, for full-time employees across the UK.
Route to Employment
There are no set requirements, but it may help if you have some GCSEs or equivalent including English and maths. You could do an intermediate or an advanced apprenticeship in cultural heritage operations before applying to become a tour guide. Experience of dealing with the public and giving presentations could be useful, and additional languages may also help. You may need a Blue Badge in Tourist Guiding to work in places like Westminster Abbey and York Minster.
Popular Degree Subjects
The most common degree subjects to be a Tour Guide
Employability Skills Needed
Employability Skills Key:
Work Styles Needed
Work Styles Key:
Technology Experience Needed
Develop your Skills and Knowledge
Open Online Courses selected for you.More Develop your Skills and Knowledge
Universities chosen especially for you based on your (predicted) grades.More Universities