In charge of the day-to-day running of a hotel. You'll deal with everything from budgeting and marketing to staff recruitment and building maintenance.
- setting budgets and forecasting income
- deciding business targets and marketing
- fire safety and building security
- licensing regulations as they relate to the hotel
- overseeing larger corporate bookings and events
- managing staffing and resources
- organising building maintenance
- dealing with customer complaints and comments
- in charge of health and safety, including environmental health
In larger hotels, department managers would report to you. These departments might include housekeeping, event management, human resources, catering and maintenance.
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software: e.g. Oracle JD Edwards EnterpriseOne
- Facilities management software: e.g. Anand Systems ASI FrontDesk, Execu/Tech Systems HOTEL Premium, TCS Hotel Software Guest Tracker, UniResMan
- Point of sale POS software: e.g. ePOS Business Solutions System 3 POS
- Financial analysis software: e.g. Delphi Technology
- Office suite software: e.g. Corel Office Suite, LibreOffice, Microsoft Office, OpenOffice.org
- Data base user interface and query software: e.g. Database software, Microsoft Access
- 58,300 hotel managers are employed in the UK.
- New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
- Throughout the UK
- Weekends & Public Holidays
Compare with the paid time worked by full-time employees in the UK.
Compare with the pay, excluding overtime, for full-time employees across the UK.
Route to Employment
You can get into this job through a degree course like hospitality and tourism management, an apprenticeship or gaining experience in various fields of hotel work and then getting a promotion to management.
Popular Degree Subjects
The most common degree subjects to be a Hotel Manager
Employability Skills Needed
Employability Skills Key:
Work Styles Needed
Work Styles Key:
Technology Experience Needed
Develop your Skills and Knowledge
Open Online Courses selected for you.More Develop your Skills and Knowledge
Universities chosen especially for you based on your (predicted) grades.More Universities