Specialise in one area of law and carry out similar tasks to solicitors
You'll specialise in a branch of law, like: conveyancing- the legal side of buying and selling property; probate -wills, trusts and inheritance tax; family law -divorce and children's matters; civil litigation - disputes between people; criminal law - defence and prosecution of people accused of crimes; or company business law - tax, contracts amd employment law.
Depending on your specialism, your work might include:
- advising clients and explaining legal matters
- contacting professionals, like mortgage lenders, planning officers or other lawyers on behalf of clients
- researching and summarising legal information
- preparing legal documents
- writing to clients
- drawing up wills
- preparing contracts
- representing clients in courts
- preparating bills for clients.
- Data base user interface and query software: e.g. Database software, Microsoft Access
- Document management software: e.g. Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Information retrieval or search software: e.g. LexisNexis
- Electronic mail software: e.g. Google Gmail, Microsoft Outlook, Yahoo! Email
- Office suite software: e.g. Corel Office Suite, LibreOffice, Microsoft Office, OpenOffice.org
- 74,438 legal executives are employed in the UK.
- New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
- 9 to 5
- Throughout the UK
Compare with the paid time worked by full-time employees in the UK.
Compare with the pay, excluding overtime, for full-time employees across the UK.
Route to Employment
Entry to training usually requires a qualifying law degree or postgraduate diploma. Graduates in subjects other than law must first take a one-year conversion course. All entrants undertake a one year legal practice course, followed by a two-year training contract.
Popular Degree Subjects
The most common degree subjects to be a Legal Executive
Employability Skills Needed
Employability Skills Key:
Work Styles Needed
Work Styles Key:
Technology Experience Needed
Develop your Skills and Knowledge
Open Online Courses selected for you.More Develop your Skills and Knowledge
Universities chosen especially for you based on your (predicted) grades.More Universities